If you experience constipation the below tips can help you to induce bowel movements:
1. Drink water: Drink around 7-8 glasses of water every day. It will help you push your stool out of the system.
2. Include fiber in your diet or fiber supplements: Fiber makes stool bulkier and softer so it’s easy to pass. It is suggested to have at least 22-34 grams of fiber in your diet daily. Whole grains, bread, brown rice, fruits, vegetables, prunes, and dry fruits contain high fiber and can help to relieve constipation. Fiber supplements are readily available and effective in inducing bowel movements.
3. Take a laxative: Laxatives help to relieve constipation. There are different types of laxatives used:
- Stimulant laxative: It squeezes the intestine and takes 6-12 hours to work.
- Osmotic laxative: It works by letting the fluids move through the colon. It takes around 2-3 days to show its effect
- Lubricant laxative: The mineral oil act as a lubricant laxative. It helps by adding a coat to the intestine wall and stool mass. The stool retains water and can move out through the colon easily.
4. Use a stool softener: Dehydration can harden your stool. A stool softener moistens your stool by drawing water from the intestine and allows it to exit from your body easily.
5. Castor oil: Castor oil is being used to relieve constipation for a long time but recently it was noted that this oil acts as a stimulant laxative and works within 2-6 hrs after administration. You should take around 15ml of oil mixed in the juice or any other fluid to mask the taste of the oil. It should not be taken for a long time as it can loosen your muscle tone in the intestine and can cause chronic constipation
6. Seek Doctor’s help: If you experience constipation that lasts more than a week. Please speak to your doctor.